[CAUT] Steinway Hammers revisited

Wigent, Donald E WIGENTD@MAIL.ECU.EDU
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:01:17 -0500

If you like that beautiful creamy sound you might consider John Abel
hammers.  They are lovely and consistent rite out of the box just put
them on and be impressed. If on the other hand you want more aggressive
hammers Renner is your next choice.  And if you want a harder hammer,
amedgawa, I know that spelling is wrong will give you what you want.
Some people like plastic hammer hardener thinned with acetone.
Don Wigent  E C U

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Phil Bondi
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 4:12 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Steinway Hammers revisited

Hi all. I just got done with my first set on an upright. Awhile back I
got a discussion going about voicing them out of the box. Here is my
assessment of my first S&S Hammer job:

-They are no where near as difficult to voice out of the box as I was
originally led to believe.
-Granted, they were going on an upright with the original wire, but they

sounded just fine..the client was happy.
-I got the last gallon of lacquer know to Sherwin-William in this area.
I mixed it 4:1 thinner to lacquer..very consistent results from hammer
to hammer.
-I won't go into the juicing process for this particular customer..let's

just say my gut instinct was right on the money.
-From the discussions here to talking to the Steinway techs have made
what seemed like 'the impossible dream' very real and very consistent.
-I look forward to my next Steinway Hammer Hanging/Juicing job.

The Baldwin D at the Hall where I do Concert work is in need of hammers
- would you hang Steinway Hammers on it?

I'm giving it strong consideration, as I am also considering Ronsen's
Wurzen felt(no experience there, just acknowledging the results I have
heard from other techs).

Your thoughts and comments have been greatly appreciated..noted..and I
look forward to many more.

Phil Bondi(Fl)