[CAUT] Re: Tuning exams, etc.

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:15:32 -0500

Bill Bremmer misquoted me.  Bill, I did not say that in order to be a
full-fledged member of this organization a person must be able to tune the
midrange entirely by ear.  That's not what I said, and it was not my main
subject line.  You are taking me out of context and obscuring my point.

My point is that the status quo in PTG is one of extremes.  In order to be
an RPT, a person must pass three tests.  The technical and tuning tests are
not pushovers by any means, and the logistics for taking them are something
else.  On the other hand, a person can walk in the door, fill out an
application, pay dues, and obtain a label that looks as good to the general
public as does the RPT label, all without showing any proficiency
whatsoever.  That scenario defies common sense, but it's what we have.

Yes, as a side issue, I did say that I believe a preson should be able to
do an acceptable aural tuning in order to pass the tuning test.  If you
want to put an ETD requirement in there too, that's OK with me.  I did not
define "acceptable", and I will stand by what I said.

Jim Ellis