[CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:37:14 -0600

Avery:

=20

And THAT's the way to pick out pianos!  If you have to have one today,
you're already at a disadvantage.  Too often we have a donor with
checkbook in hand, so we run right out and buy the first, least-bad
piano.   I think driving Steinway nuts before you bought is better than
driving them nuts after you have 6 bad new pianos.  No one is happy
then!

=20

dave

=20

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Avery Todd
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 1:33 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

=20

Dave,=20

Thankfully, that didn't happen here! Horacio Gutierrez picked out 5 B's
& 1 D for us for our new building. Thatkfully, they didn't wait for
until the last minute to ask him to do so. It took him about a year
before he found ones he liked enough to send to us. The 'D' was the
biggest problem. After all that time, they finally let him try one that
was on its way out as a C & A instrument. Already had the side rails &
Steinway decal on the side. That's the one he ended up picking. I heard
he almost drove them crazy in NY! :-) Anyway, we ended up with 6
instruments that people liked.=20

Now they're old enough that just about all of them need new hammers! :-(
One of the worst ones was filed and voiced early this week and there's
very little felt left on the strike point in the upper 1-2 octaves.
Couldn't even get rid of all the grooves. Oh well. I guess it's called
job security. At least it sounds much, much better and the teacher is
happy.=20

Avery Todd

There is the tendency to do that in selecting a new one also, where a
better choice might be to wait for something better rather than choose
the least-bad piano. =20
=20
dave