[CAUT] Andres punching tested

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:17:40 -0600

What's Andres email address?  I have misplaced it.

Joy!

Elwood

=20

Elwood Doss, Jr. M.M.E.; RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director

Department of Music

145 Fine Arts Building

The University of Tennessee at Martin

Martin, TN  38238

731/881-1852

  _____ =20

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Andres punching tested

=20

 List

  While putting the final hours on a newly bellied D I did an
experiment.

   I had installed the usual Thick green punching a while back  prior to
receiving the New Oorebeck front rail punching's. So I listened to the
sound of F-4 carefully, checked the dip , then changed to the new ones,
checked the dip , played the note & the sound suddenly came together
with more power and clarity than the first punching. The solidity under
my finger was firm and sure.

    Thinking it to be an anomally I changed back to the green ones. The
Sound diminsihed & lacked focus. Well ,I did this a bout three times on
the same note with the same result. I then checked a bass note f-1 with
the same effect.=20

   I'd say the new puncing  has a similar beneficial yet cumulative
effect much like to mating & hammers to & leveling strings

  I placed the green punching between two pieces of thin maple & put a
calipers on each side. The compression with modest force would change
easily as much as .030. The white new punching only .010.

   Considering all this, since the key is where the power is generated
it needs to have a precise stopping moment. If not after touch can
change to a depth of .420 even with an initial dip setting of .390
.(which is my preferred dip in Steinways whenever possible.)=20

  Think of the distance in excessive jack travel especially on parts
with a narrow window for jack movement & also it's effect on slowing
repitition performance. With the white punchings a far more dependable
dip /touch can be assured.

  Think of the improvement in SOUND Baby!!!!!!!!

  I  noticed no change in noise even though this is a pressed felt & not
woven.

 I immediately changed the entire set & tomorrow or Friday I'll have a
chance to hear & feel  the whole piano.

  Regards

  Dale Erwin