[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:17:05 -0500

ok folks. Here's what I found yesterday:

First off - the hall is acoustically a 3.5 out of a possible 5 to my
ears. It's on on the quiet side, but sound effectively gets to the
audience. Alot of work has been done to this hall over the 6 years I've
been there.

What I found yesterday was nothing more than 88 hammers needing some
TLC. I sanded lightly then listened. The sound improved somewhat at that
point, so I knew my work with my allotted time would be dedicated to
voicing the hammers. The whole Piano(String leveling, matting, etc.) has
been scheduled for February when Phantom has the Hall. I'll do that work
in the Piano Room(where it's stored) at my convenience since that door
will not be blocked when Phantom is in the hall.

Careful needling just outside what were the string grooves made the
piano sound MUCH better. Gone was the initial 'clang' that was bothering
me. I needled carefully and not too deep..I would say slightly deeper
than sugar coating(2 mil tops?). Oh, before I forget, I needle with just
1 needle because I feel I have better control that way. The only concern
at this point is ocatve6, where the sound seems to die quickly. Octave 7
sings beautifully compared to 6.

I realize, as does the Tech Director now, that the piano is in need of
more TLC. The message will be sent to the Director of the Hall, where
the OK has to come from.

My thanks to this list and the personal notes sent my way regarding 'my
baby'. More work needs to be done.

Phil Bondi