[CAUT] Imperial with breaking bass strings

Don McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:32:15 -0500

David and all,

IC has a 1953 Imp Bose that has suffered from regular string breakage in
the past. The breaking generally happened in the bass and treble. This
piano lived at Cornell from about 1974 to 1989. The technician at
Cornell informed me of this problem and suggested regular string
replacement in the treble every five years or so to keep down the
inconvenience of having to replace just before, or during, a concert.
For the bass, he had replacements handy when needed.

The first winter here at IC was very telling for this instrument. It did
not like the low humidity in the building and let us know. (It suffered
similarly at Cornell each winter as well) Someone would be playing and
suddenly there would be a loud cracking sound. Most disconcerting! It
took a bit of searching to discover what was happening. The noise turned
out to be the veneer splitting on the inside of the outer rim. This was
obviously due to the dryness.

Also during this first winter we had a number of broken strings to
contend with. By the end of the winter I had installed a humidity
control system on this piano. Since then I have had little string
breakage and no more loud cracking sounds. There is something to be said
for proper humidity control. :-) This may not be your problem but the
fix worked in this instance.

Don