[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:55:58 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2005 5:26:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,
phil@philbondi.com writes:

-My  initial thought is to start to improve its voice from either end and
work  my way towards the middle.

- Would it be wise to add any liquids to the  hammers during my tunings,
knowing that withing a few hrs., the piano will  be played for a performance?

Phil

I would suggest you try to schedule yourself an extra 15 - 20 minutes ever
time you tune the piano, and only work on a few hammers that need voicing the
most. Hit ones that stand out. If you start at either end, you might wind up
with a drastic change between where you left off and the ones you didn't do.

You say some of the hammers are sounding a little strident. It would seem  to
me that the last thing you want to do is add more lacquer. You would want to
voice those hammers down. But if you do want to increase the tone, try
sanding  first. If lacquer has been added before, it settled below the surface.
Sanding  will bring that out.

Trying to compete with a big musical production like Phantom might be more
trouble than it's worth, unless you can get a very accurate rehearsal schedule,
 and work around it. But even that might not be good, as there will probably
be  other crews doing work. It would be best to wait until after the
production  starts, or even after the whole thing is out of there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wim