[CAUT] Fwd: recycled Lumber

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:11:53 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2005 1:56:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@aol.com writes:

  Wim
   You completely forgot the fun factor. Not only  this but If one owns a
chain saw the post are quickly removed  in a matter  of minutes  I don't save
everthing. Yes a minimum wage worker can get an  upright un -strung in 1 & 1/2
hours strings & pins removed & or just  loosen the tension so it doesn't explode
when the post get removed. Also the  wood I recycled is probably worth 300
dollars. I'm looking at it primarily from  a rebuilders point of view & what
quality of wood is not available anymore  for any price.
  Any one sell an old plate to the scrapers  recently?
 How much are they worth?in an

Dale Erwin

Your idea is great. but I think the reason more technicians aren't  doing
this is time. If you have the time, it's worth it. But if you have to  take time,
time that could be used for more productive things, or even  spending it with
the family, then it isn't cost effective.

A number of years ago I kind of did a time study to figure out how long  it
would take two guys , getting paid $10 and hour, to completely tear apart  an
old upright, and save all the screws, hinges, caster, and of course lumber.
Then I figured out how much the parts could be sold for. I think each upright
would have cost me something like $30. And that didn't even include paying for
the space, the storage, the advertising, overhead, taxes, etc.

But, if you've nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon, why not?

Wim