[CAUT] piano bench question

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:32:18 -0700

    The mechanism looks very much like the Italian economy adjustable bench
sold by Pianotek and others (and the ones provided with Petrofs and a couple
other makes). They seem to hold up reasonably well in private home type
locations, assuming someone tightens the screws from time to time.
    Me, I was always taught to sit "forward" on the standard bench, with
tail bone resting on a point maybe 6" in from the edge. Does the same thing
for posture as what I imagine the ergonomic bench would do (and what the
"learned article" at the web site is conveying), and I find I am very
uncomfortable playing in any other position (particularly hate it when a
piano is placed so that the bench can't go back far enough - runs into a
wall). Years and years of habit. I have sat on a bench similar to the one
illustrated (don't know if it was that make or not) maybe a couple times,
and found it to "work physiologically" pretty well, though I didn't sit at
one playing a piano for even as much as an hour, so don't have a real good
sense of how I'd feel about it over time. I'd have to say that for myself,
my assessment was that I'd prefer a regular bench, sitting on it as I have
described.
    So, generally speaking, a guarded "why not, if the price isn't too
steep?"

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico