[CAUT] back check wires

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:52:01 EST

In a message dated 1/4/05 10:32:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

Doing a  rebuild on an Petrof 235 and it looks like I I have a choice of
replacing  back check wires with 2.9 mm diameters, or use the existing size
of 2.5 mm  along with some resizing of the holes in the keys. The existing
wires are  bent in every which way you can imagine and loose in the keys.

What I  would like to get opinions on is whether or not any of you have any
preferences in regards to diameter of the wire. Thicker means stronger...
not necessarily a good thing...

So whataya whataya  ??

Thanks

RicB

I'd go with the thicker wire. It will do two things. One, it will  eliminate
the need to glue size the holes. This might not be difficult for one  key, but
the more you have to do, the  more likely you're going to run into  a problem
with one of them not being done right. Second, a thicker wire, in my
opinion, gives better checking. Not only that, but it will stay where it's put.

Just my 2.9 cents worth.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician