[CAUT] Keys and Security issues

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:04:24 -0600

I think David Love makes a good point.  You have to ensure that you are
handling your client's keys in a responsible manner (e.g. items 2 & 3 on
your list).  Anything more than that puts you in the role of security
consultant, and you need to make a conscious decision as to whether you want
to be in that role, with all the attendant responsibilities and liabilities.
If key control was an issue in the theft you refer to, I would think that
loss would be a pretty clear wake-up call to the college in question.
Personally, if a college or large church came to me for security and key
control advice, I would have to question their judgment.  That said, I think
pushing for items 4 & 5 would definitely be in your interest.  They're in
the "keep my life simple" category.