[CAUT] Re: Symptom Descriptions

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:29:51 -0500

Richard, I think there might be some confusion of terms on the technician's
part too.  In mechanical terms, "compliance" is the opposite of
"resistance", so I don't see how an action's being too compliant could
result in a complaint of its being too stiff or heavy.  The complaint would
likely be that it's too loose or too light.  A limber (flexible) key is
something else.  That will make the front of the key more compliant to the
pianist's finger, but not the action, and he/she is likely to complain of a
loss of power, or of not being able to "connect" with the piano.  The
pianist's finger will be doing "work", but some of that "work" will just be
flexing the key instead of throwing the hammer toward the string.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis