[CAUT] Restringing treble

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:04:02 +0100

Hi Bob.

Cant really answer your question as to why such thin gaps seemingly did
not change under tightening. But it does seem obvious there are several
things going on at the same time relative to the basic question at hand.
Pulling strings off a whole section of the treble could feasibly cause
changes in both the soundboard and release stresses on the plate in more
the one direction. The movement in remaining treble string pitches
reported are probably the result of a combination of these rather then
of one or  the other.

Your plate may be rather stiff around the screws in the direction you
<<want>> it to flex... or maybe there is some other explanation.

Bechstein used to have an interesting plate installation procedure, and
it had everything to do with this whole plate flexing thing.  I've never
been to their factory, but  the way I have heard it was that you
fastened the plate to the pinblock first (which was solidly mounted into
the sides of the piano so it couldnt float), then starting at the high
treble you moved round the plate towards the bass tightening the
screws.  By the time you got half way around you'd notice the whole bass
area floating quite a bit in the air.  The whole thing was to be
pre-flexed as it were along the direction of the unwound strings,
apparently in an attempt to counter any stability problems related to
plate flexing.

Cheers
RicB