[CAUT] Re: Restringing Treble

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:17:06 +0100

Well, I have to admit that I have never actually measured the other
sections, but I've routinely taken bass strings off for replacement or
cleaning without worry. Cant say I've ever noticed any real change in
pitch in the treble, so whatever there is I've always assumed to be
insignificant, which I'll define loosely as not enough to consider one
way or the other.

Just as a closing note, thought I've repost a few of Nossamans words on
the subject from /Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:51:17 -0600 / in reply to Quentins
direct inquiry.

     >/Somebody told me that raising the bass after the treble was
    considerably /
     >/bad for the treble area when pitch raising, because the bass
    strings /
     >/applied on the bridge would make the soundboard "stress", and so
    detune/
     >/the treble area.// //Have you ever heard of this?/
     >/Quentin/

Ron N writes
/
/

    "Yea, I've been hearing of it for a long time. The fact is, you can
    take the bass strings off entirely for bridge repairs or
    replacement, and it typically barely affects the tuning of the rest
    of the piano. It's probably all in how you hold your tongue, the
    phase of Mars, or your lubricant choice for the casters. Avoid
    peanut oil for that last one. I'm told it attracts elephants. "

    Ron N

Cheers
RicB