[CAUT] Piano tuners on different keys about technology

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:10:40 -0800

It is an interesting article and though the debate goes on I can
appreciate the aural argument.  I say that even though I use an
electronic device.  Assuming you are a competent aural tuner I think it
is easier to deliver a tuning with an ETD that is sub standard if you
are not paying attention.  While a well scaled piano has little trouble
with an ETD, ones where the scaling is uneven can create some problems
with the calculated curve of an ETD.  I have gone now to using the ETD
in a mostly interval checking mode.  I recently switched back from the
VT to the SATIII (which I had been using).  I use the standard setting
(8, 7, 6) and tune A3 and A4 using the DOB adjustment until I get the
octave width that I want.  Then I tune an A3-A4 temperament octave as
calculated by the machine.  I have gone away from the F3-F4 temperament
because it is around F3 that smaller pianos have many of the scaling
problems.  Higher up there are fewer inconsistencies.  After tuning A3 -
A4 I switch to direct interval tuning and tune down through the bass and
then up through the treble setting the machine on the coincident partial
that I want to be comparing.  Play the reference note, an octave above
if going down or an octave below if going up, and then play the note to
be tuned comparing the machines read on the coincident setting.  You can
still use the step-wise auto switching.  I quickly check intervals such
as thirds and fifths as I go to see where the piano wants to switch over
to another coincident partial.  I can also see the amount of stretch and
use my ears to confirm.  I find that this method is very reliable and
you don't encounter the problems that a canned tuning can sometimes
create on a scale that is uneven.  It doesn't take any longer either.  I
will, however, use the calculated tuning on some institutional pianos
where the tuning is less critical and I am looking for the utmost in
speed.