[CAUT] tuning frequency

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:43:34 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2005 7:58:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,
hoffsoco@luther.edu writes:

My  schedule has
evolved/devolved (your call) to starting at 0500 which gives  me much max
flexibility as to where I work. I have ZERO schedule conflicts  with
classes/lessons/rehearsals for three hours.  Many complaints  handled before
they have class/lessons the next day.  I walk out the  door by 1400 and
enjoy no lines at stores/banks.  I can do afternoon  "moonlighting" and when
I return my tools to my room people ask if I'm  still there, working
late...  ;-}

I have heard of other piano tuners that work "odd hours", so they can get  in
and do their work. My predecessor worked from 10 PM to 5 AM. If this works
for you, fine, but I don't want to do that, for two reasons.

First, I attend a lot of concerts and recitals in  the evening, (which  I
consider one of the "perks" of working for the school), and have church choir,
community singers and hand bell rehearsals that keep me out until 9 or 10 at
night. By the time I relax, have a beer, or just watch a couple of late night
comedies, it's 11 or 12 before I'm in bed. If I had to be up at 4 to be at
work  at 5, I couldn't do those things.

The second reason is that I am of the opinion that I should be  allowed to
work the same hours as the other employees at the school. I strongly  believe
that if the school wants me to maintain the instruments, that they need  to
accommodate me, and give me time during the day to do that. I don't mind
occasionally working on weekends or tuning the concert hall piano at 5  just before
the dress rehearsal. But I just don't believe  in working "odd hours" to
accommodate the school's schedule. At least  not without getting "overtime" or extra
duty pay.

Just my take on this

Wim