[CAUT] Re: "Mind Bender", etc.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:35:34 -0700

At 08:47 PM 2/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>While the air temperature is going up, the piano will go flat, because the
>strings are exposed to the air, and they are warming much more rapidly than
>is the heavy plate with lots of mass.  When the piano stabilises at the new
>temperature, it will be back on pitch, or nearly so.  When the temperature
>is going down, the strings - exposed to the air - will be cooler than the
>plate, and the piano will go sharp.  When it stabliizes at the new
>temperature, it will be back on pitch again, or nearly so.
>
>Sincerely, Jim Ellis

Hi Jim,

    If I understand what you are saying above, Jim... the piano will
"stabilize" at a new and different temperature when the change of plate
temperature catches-up to the change of temperature of the strings. Okay.
But, you say that after it stabilizes it will be nearly "back on pitch". Do
you mean that the overall temperature can change, let's say.... 8 degrees
(F), and that after stabilization, the pitch will be the same? Or do you
possibly mean that the piano can change, stabilize, change back to original
temp, stabilize, and THEN be "back on pitch"?

Regards,
Guy Nichols