[CAUT] SD-10 duplex question

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:39:37 -0800

Jeff,

This is good advice...especially the part about allowing the lacquer to
set.  I would suggest only that you might wind up putting the lacquer over
the crown of the extreme treble (the top 4 - 5 hammers); while avoiding
doing so in the bass.

Using 4:1, as Roger suggests, allows you to apply the lacquer solution to
either the shoulder or the side of the hammer.  Except when it has seemed
necessary, I have avoided putting solutions in the side, preferring to use
a slightly thinner solution and watching carefully as it flows into the
hammer.  This not only gives you more control over where the solution goes,
it also helps to avoid the concrete-block syndrome seen so often
(especially when one inevitably has to reshape the hammers).

Best.

Horace