[CAUT] SD-10 duplex question

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:40:03 -0600

Jeff, Roger,

this SD-10 has 10-year-old Renner blues, very little (capo) noise and/or the
associated loss of power in this treble, and does sound very nice.

Just to be sure Roger, I'm not talking about muting the front duplex, which
gets a little excited when hammers wear or strings aren't level.

I'm actually talking about the segment between the duplex and the tuning
pins.

These lengths are not scaled (3 vastly different lengths to reach 3
tuning-pins), and have no (intentional or otherwise) harmonic relationship
with the speaking length.

The only noise (music?) they contribute is the very same you encounter on an
upright if someone  forgot the string-braid/rest-felt above the pressure
bar. (how do I know!?)

(and you'd think the experience of having to jamb stringing-cloth between
unisons, tuning-pins and the pressure bar, with strings at full tension
would be enough to help me remember the next time! ;>)

So their (musical?) contribution/participation will not be missed.

thanks again guys,
Mark C.