[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:35:46 -0500

Wow!
We are discussing so many different kinds of "value" on this thread.
Value of an old instrument for study as "representative of historic
technology."
Value of  a performance worthy instrument (new reproduction or
well-preserved/restored original) for study of musical interpretation.
Value of instrument as contemporary standard performance instrument.
Value of instrument as symbol of historic continuity (family, church, or
"was played by Paderewski")
Value as item of commerce or investment (a crazy market, look at eBay).
Value because I can make money restoring, rebuilding, whatever.
Value as a tax deduction.
Value because something is rare or odd (but not necessarily very good).
Value just because some people like old things.
Two more days of this thread, and we'll settle all these questions for good!
Ed Sutton