[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:48:44 -0500

On Wednesday, February 16, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Chris Solliday wrote:

> My opinion, of course humble, is that this
> so called "original instrument" concept just creates a mythical market
> for
> the owners of some horrendous old dogs and unfortunately it obscures
> and
> reduces the opportunities to hear the rather charming performance
> available
> on reproductions, and not to mention reduces this important market.

Well, it would not be difficult to draw a comparison to the violin
market here, and the similar debate going on in that industry.  Many
argue, and their positions are supported by blind aural tests, that
violins made today, including some of the better factory made
instruments, actually rival the tone of Strads and Amatis of the 18th
century (all of which were completely redesigned and refurbished during
the 19th century).  But the historical buffs can't afford to allow that
argument to hold water, since of course, their financial investments in
the older instruments would obviously suffer!

It does indeed appear to exhibit evidence of a mythical market
maintained purely for financial reasons.
Jeff