[CAUT] d minor

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:31:05 -0700

On 2/15/05 6:02 PM, "Don" <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> At 03:19 PM 15/02/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>> When string players tune to a piano the A 440 is struck, and that is
>> often followed by a d minor, root position chord with the A 440 being
>> the fifth.  I've often heard this done at concerts but I've never been
>> asked why the d minor chord is used.  A student asked me today and I
>> didn't have an answer.  Why d minor?
>>
>> Richard West, RPT
>> University of Nebraska
>> Lincoln, NE

D, F natural, and A all share harmonics at A, and playing the notes together
helps focus the ear on that pitch. (Yes, I know, the coincident partials are
one and a couple octaves above A4, but it does seem to focus the ear
anyway). The problem, I believe, is the difficulty of matching pitch from
such different pitch sources - piano to violin string. Harpsichord seems to
be even more problematic (due especially to rapid decay). It's more
psychological than physical IMO, but there's no question it seems to help
(from many years of accompanying).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico