[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:55:31 -0600

At 13:05 2/15/2005, you wrote:
>Wouldn't it be great to see Chris argue his point with Malcolm Bilson.
>Might turn into a slug fest! :-) Having lived here in Ithaca (the land of
>historical performance practice) for some time, I find listening to music
>performed on historical instruments interesting at least for an academic
>standpoint. And, occasionally it is a great musical experience. Cornell
>has a couple of pianos from the mid 1800's that sound very good and when
>played by a skilled pianist, can be very rewarding to hear. Just my humble
>opinion.
>
>Don
>

>>  I may as well take this opportunity to come out of the closet and
>> reveal my bias, actually a pet peave, just to be fair. In case anyone
>> wasn't catching the drift, I have almost no use for historical
>> instruments. I can't imagine any musician of the day, say Franz Liszt,
>> looking for "the good old piano." Most often professional pianists,
>> unless they are looking for novelty, or are overcome with this absurd
>> nostalgia for "original instruments," look for the best new piano they
>> can find. 'Cause the design is up to date and the parts are new and it
>> plays like they expect. Everything else is ANOMALY. And unless your
>> customer is of that ilk I'd stick to I-95. (I do make one notable
>> exception and that is reproductions. They make for wonderful
>> "Historical" concerts although I do think the whole concept is a bit
>> hysterical). Of course Stephen, be attentive to what Bill Shull and
>> others are warning of cause this isn't I-95, but get as close as you can
>> and a "NORMAL" customer will be happy. And BTW, sorry Bill, we're full
>> at MARC and printed for this year, but I have forwarded your shameless
>> self invitation to Steve and Paul and will put in a good word for you.
>>Best to All,
>>  Chris Solliday

I really like Ansel Adams' black and white photography.
Ansel Adams had access to color film.

I like Mozart on the fortepiano.
I have access to 9' grand pianos.

Mozart didn't have the sound of a 9' concert grand in mind when he was
composing.
He did have access to fortepiani.

As well as pianists can interpret Mozart on a 9', they can NEVER duplicate
what Mozart had in mind.

my biased 2¢

Conrad
(just finished tuning two harpsichords...)