[CAUT] From: This Is True

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:12:16 EST

In a message dated 2/9/05 11:52:21 A.M. Central Standard Time, atodd@uh.edu
writes:

BEE BEEN  BANNED: Schools in Lincoln, R.I., have canceled the annual
spelling bee competition. Assistant Superintendent of Schools  Linda
Newman said the decision was unanimous, and was because  the "No Child
Left Behind says all kids must reach high  standards," but a spelling
bee is "about one kid winning,  several making it to the top and leaving
all others behind.  That's contrary to No Child Left Behind." A spelling
bee  "sends a message that this isn't an all-kids movement" as it  leaves
"some kids being winners, some kids being losers." That  just won't do,
she says, since "You have to build positive  self-esteem for all kids,
so they believe they're all  winners." (Woonsocket Call) ...Asinine.
A-S-I-N-I-N-E.  Asinine.

Then I guess band contest, baseball tournaments, and being the class
valedictorian are on their way out, too. Heaven forbid, we don't want to give  the
smart and outstanding children a complex.

Wim