[CAUT] Key frame placement

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:24:51 EST

In a message dated 2/4/2005 1:50:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
stranges@Oswego.EDU writes:

Hey  boils and goils-

Can I get some feedback on the bast placement of the  keys/key ends and
frame under the underlevers in the REST position?  (Unshifted..)

I'm deep into getting our concert grand worthy- and want  to get the best
placement before I go and move wippens and hammers and  bass cleat felt
which are questionable and do a complete  regulation..

For example- should the underlevers be to the right-ish of  the key ends so
that when it shifts it's centered?
OR should the  underlevers be CENTERED on the key ends so that when it
shifts they'll be  on the left-ish..

(Not leftist!!)

:)
Stranges in the  niiiighhhhtttt

Michelle

(That's a neat name too, same as my niece)

Horace has given some very insightful advice, which I am sure will help a
lot. But I think you should consider what David I. said. The alignment  of the
action needs to be so that the shanks travel straight up and down, with  the
hammer centering just to the left of center. Once that has been establish,  the
align the wippens under the knuckles. Then align the damper levers over the
keys. The exact position is not critical, but they should not, of course, hit
the neighbor on the shift. But even that can be corrected by shaving off a
millimeter or two off the key and felt, as needed.

Wim