[CAUT] Re: D with a ghost

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:37:52 -0800

Jim,

> But I disagree on one point.  Lightly muting the C-4
> rear duplex is not going to reduce the sustain of the
> speaking length of C#-6.  It will improve it, because it will
> get rid of the resonance between the two that is robbing the
> C#-6 of its output to excite the C-4 duplex.

I agree with you here, and didn't state things correctly - in relation
to what you hear now, sustain will improve.  In relation to de-tuning
the aliquot sharp, though, I feel the sustain would be better without
muting it off.  It seems that there will still be coupling between the
C#-6 and the now muted but 'in tune' aliquot strings, but the energy is
being absorbed by the felt, so that secondary quiet sustain will be
lost.  That is what I was referring to.

I can see, though, that the mass of the felt might eliminates the
initial coupling itself, so perhaps you are correct that felting it off
is all that is needed.

Don