[CAUT] Database

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:23:03 -0700

Hi John,

That's a good question. It depends on how complex your needs are although
having said that, I can't imagine a situation that could not be handled with
either program. If you already have Access you'd still need to either design
something from scratch - YIKES  - or purchase a ready-made product like
PianoDB and adapt it to your needs (in which case I'd be happy to send you
my PianoDB adaptation from which you can customize further). If you already
have FM 7, then you can download mine and see if that works for you and
customize as you like. I think FM 7 is easier to create something from
scratch than is Access although there are several things in FM that I have
yet to figure out. I learned a lot about Access from Ken Hale's work. Having
a product to customize is much easier than working from a blank page. Let's
put it this way. If I were doing anything complex, I'd never attempt to go
from scratch in Access (it is not all that friendly with the typical cryptic
error messages like "sorry, you can't do that. Error 2435. For help on this
problem, pray"), but I would at least try it in FM. One thing I like about
PianoDB is that it is not a stand-alone product and therefore requires that
Access be installed. This sounds like a disadvantage, but it allows you
total control and you can customize to your hearts desire.

Chris's ExecuKey might be a good alternative,  but I do like to customize
things and I don't know if ExecuKey will allow that.

Well, I suspect that things are less clear than before, but I hope not.

Alan