[CAUT] [Files] Re: Nossaman D

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:13:26 -0500

> We just got a piano back from Ron Nossaman=92s shop last Friday.  It =20=

> used to be a Steinway D.  It is now a Nossaman D.  What a wonderful =20=

> sounding instrument!

Thanks Dave. This was the first time I'd done this extensive a set of =20=

modifications on a 9' piano, and the results were more dramatic than =20
I'd really expected. I expect to get dramatic improvement from =20
smaller pianos with modifications, but I expected this one to be just =20=

a much cleaner and better balanced version of what we're used to =20
hearing. Separating the bridges and adding the transition brought the =20=

whole bottom half of the scale to life. The low tenor and low bass =20
being no longer clamped to one another by a ring bridge construction =20
lets them move separately to good effect. It's very difficult to =20
aurally tell where the transitions are between bass and tenor, and =20
between wrapped bichords and plain trichord unisons.

> Gone are the irritating wound trichords, all the false beats and =20
> the killer octave.  Now it has a tenor bridge with 5 wound =20
> bichords, a new bass bridge disconnected from the treble bridge, a =20
> large bass cut-off bar, a treble fish, 22 ribs, and many other =20
> enhancements.  I hope Ron will jump in here and give whatever =20
> technical details he wants to give.

I had some parts left over. Among the deleted features were the tuned =20=

rear duplexes, the tuned front duplexes, the bell, and the acoustic =20
dowel plate suspension system. I did some bracing and mass loading of =20=

the belly rail in the treble, and got a pretty fair sustain out of =20
the treble. Instead of the usual 47mm-50mm C-8, it now has a C-8 of =20
53mm. There's still a circle of sound of sorts, but I tried to keep =20
it between the string plane and the soundboard assembly instead of =20
letting it run wild over the whole piano.

A semi-log scale progression on the long bridge, with real doglegs in =20=

the bridge at the breaks to maintain the progression, makes tuning =20
nicer. Not that it means anything in particular, but the bass bridge =20
and it's end extensions ended up being longer than the longest rib in =20=

the piano. That doesn't happen too often with a 20 note bass.

You know, the usual heretical stuff we've been talking about on the =20
list for some years.

Ronsen Wurzen felt hammers and I left the final voicing for Dave, =20
rather than impose my tastes on the owners, so I haven't heard it =20
entirely finished.

> He even has some pictures of various parts of the redesign I hope =20
> he=92ll post.

More than anyone could possibly want to see, most likely.

> The new back action now has capstans under each underlever and the =20
> keys have an additional maple plate on the top of the key to help =20
> reduce key flex.  I am elated with the whole thing.  There are new =20
> ideas in piano construction even though not from our piano =20
> factories.  The Steinway D has been redesigned 4 times since its =20
> first introduction in 1859 as the Style 4.  The last changes =20
> Steinway made were in 1915 so surely that=92s modern enough!

It is, for Steinway. This piano is now a former Steinway - a =20
Frankensteinway, I think John Hartman called the type.

> This is the way a piano should sound IMHO!

Thank you VERY much. Now I can start on my B for Rochester next summer.

Photos:

http://tinyurl.com/78r9n

http://tinyurl.com/7tbah

http://tinyurl.com/bxrhj