[CAUT] Nossaman D

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:58:51 -0500

We just got a piano back from Ron Nossaman's shop last Friday.  It used
to be a Steinway D.  It is now a Nossaman D.  What a wonderful sounding
instrument!  Gone are the irritating wound trichords, all the false
beats and the killer octave.  Now it has a tenor bridge with 5 wound
bichords, a new bass bridge disconnected from the treble bridge, a large
bass cut-off bar, a treble fish, 22 ribs, and many other enhancements.
I hope Ron will jump in here and give whatever technical details he
wants to give.  He even has some pictures of various parts of the
redesign I hope he'll post.

=20

The new back action now has capstans under each underlever and the keys
have an additional maple plate on the top of the key to help reduce key
flex.  I am elated with the whole thing.  There are new ideas in piano
construction even though not from our piano factories.  The Steinway D
has been redesigned 4 times since its first introduction in 1859 as the
Style 4.  The last changes Steinway made were in 1915 so surely that's
modern enough!

=20

This is the way a piano should sound IMHO!

=20

dave

=20

David M. Porritt, RPT