[CAUT] stand-by & pitch change charges

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:40:59 -0700

At 11:00 AM 8/6/2005, "Barbara Richmond" <piano57@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Fred, Jon, Avery, Alan........
>
>It's the hall's piano and it's that Pops orchestra out of Boston as
>part of a subscription series making a stop here in the corn and
>soybean fields of Central Illinois.

Ah, yes. They do play at 442, and have been since anyone can
remember... I am sure that they run into this issue on their tours
all the time.

>  (A nice little Christmas-time gig to bring out the families.)  I
> already let the hall's director know that there would be an
> additional charge for the pitch change, but haven't given her an
> amount yet.  Shucks, it's the first request I've had for anything
> besides 440 since I started tuning 23 years ago.
>  How could that be?   I attribute it to clean
> living.....ahem.     I  said I'd let her know how I would charge
> for the stand-by thing.  The hall always pays me--how they collect
> or cover for my services, as you said, is their business.  Thanks
> all, I appreciate the input.
>
>This is a learning experience for both the management and me.

It certainly should be. You need to tell your director to read her
contract with the Pops carefully, and see if there are provisions for
who pays for non-standard tuning costs. And if there aren't, she
should know for the future and add riders to contracts involving
pitch changes and stand-by times covering these costs. When I worked
Steinway C&A  tunings in Boston in the early nineties, the contracts
specified stand-by fees and fees for pitch raises, etc. And I assure
you that the guys who tune for the Boston Pops and the Boston
Symphony at Symphony Hall in Boston (it's a contract - not an
employee situation there) charge them for stand-by time - so it isn't
anything that would be news to them...

Israel Stein