[CAUT] stand-by & pitch change charges

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:53:56 -0500

Hi Barbara,

What we really sell is our time (that is: "expert time"... not to be
confused with "regular time" which anyone can sell).
If they want a specific chunk of your time, they should expect to be
billed what anyone else would have to pay for that amount of your
time.   Even if you're sitting in the office reading a book,  you are
providing them the luxury of calling upon an expert at a moment's
notice during a specified time period ________________ and that's
worth whatever you could charge anyone else had not these folks
gotten to you and reserved the time first (and they're certainly
paying similar fees for similar service in higher-rent districts on
their tour).
Don't sell yourself short and don't do other people "favors" on your
employees' time.  Even if you're the only employee you have, you owe
it to that employee to treat them really well... or they might just
go work for someone else!  Also, word gets around and if other folks
see you selling your time cheaply in this instance, they'll get the
idea that this is appropriate (after all, who knows better than you
do?) and they'll balk at paying anything more than that.  What you
want is for them to *expect* to pay a premium fee for premium time &
talent... if that's not what they want, they should pay someone else
less and get a commensurate level of expertise and service__________
leaving you free to do work that pays what you're worth in the meantime.

So much for the caffine-driven philosophical angle on your situation.
Really, though, I think Fred and Jon put it all much more succinctly
and sensibly... they are amazingly wise.
Do what they suggest and then let us all know how it turned out.       :)
Best of luck!

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music