[CAUT] Particle board pianos

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:29:13 -0400

Les

I presume a lot of the damage is to arms and sides of the piano, where they get run into a wall. A suggestion I would like to make is to cover the corners and edges of the piano with metal piping. (quarter round stuff you would put on stairs). or even plastic piping that you can put on the corner of a wall in your home. If the edges are protected, it will keep the veneer in place. That would be a lot cheaper than refinishing or repairing the piano.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Bartlett <l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net>
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:56:16 -0500
Subject: [CAUT] Particle board pianos

I tune for a local school district with a lot of Yamaha P-22's veneer over
particle board, and many of them are getting banged up, some only a year ortwo old. The district folks will NOT pay to have a real finish person come
and fix the damage. It would be thousands of dollars of course.     Should I
recommend to them, to the teachers, perhaps, to keep a can of verathane
around and at least cover the exposed particle board, lest some kind spill
water or worse on places and the piano simply start to swell?
thanks
les bartlett