[CAUT] S&S D tenor dampers

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:49:44 -0600

Hi Cy,
              First comment:   These dampers need a complete regulation.
 From the photo you can see uneven spacing and a tipped head.  The bottom
of the dampers need to be trimmed to be just about flush with the bottom of
the strings.  I prefer to remove the damper and trim them with a sharp pair
of surgical scissors, using the string indentation as a guide.   You can
also use a sharp pencil to scribe a line, using the underside of the string
as a guide
    The dampers seem to have either a temp strip or mutes inserted with out
activating the pedal. The wire is squeezed against the felt and tears as
the note is played.

    Short term fix if you get lucky ;-) Use a pair of smooth jaw parallel
pliers and gently squeeze the bleeding string to the centre string. The
squeeze is done just in front of the agraffe.  Some times lifting all 3
strings and refitting the hammer will solve the problem.

Regards Roger