[CAUT] S&S D tenor dampers

Joseph D. Gotta, RPT tune@a440piano.com
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:21:44 -0400

I usually use a pair of flush cut end nippers to trim excess felt. These
are the same nippers I use for cutting centerpins. I suspect the felt
has distorted slightly causing an uneven fit between the duel wedges.
You can pluck the strings to determine which side needs help. After
that, try nudging the outer string of the bleeding side over toward the
center string at the aggrafe. Otherwise pull the action and squeeze the
felt of the non bleeding side slightly with felt squeezing pliers or
parallel pliers can also work.

Joseph D. Gotta RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:49 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] S&S D tenor dampers

At 07:22 4/30/2005, you wrote:
>After a recent vigorous concert on an S&S D, a low tenor damper was
>bleeding.  As it dropped onto the strings, it shifted to one side.  The

>problem turned out to be that one side of the "W" had folded over the
>string (see picture).  I straightened it out, and then examined the
>situation from inside the action cavity (second pic).  The extended
"tail"
>of the wedge was shredded.  It still wasn't damping right, so I went to

>trim it to match its neighbors.  The loose piece just pulled away in my

>fingers as I tried to cut it.
>
>I've never seen dampers extending below the strings so far, but I
suppose
>for low tenor on a D, that's what's necessary.  It looks like the fix
is
>to replace that damper felt, right?  (At least the front half that was
>damaged).
>
>It still rings a bit more than I'd like, but at least it drops straight

>onto the strings.  A tiny amount of added finger pressure does the
>trick.  I tried lowering the damper wire into its support block a bit,
but
>then the sostenuto tab is too high.  Are there any short-term fixes for

>tomorrow's concert?
>
>Thanks...
>
>--Cy Shuster--
>Bluefield, WV

Any felt extending below the level of the string is useless, save
contributing problems such as your photos show and that great whooshing
sound.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

The Unspeakable Law:
As soon as you mention something, if it's good, it goes away.
If it's bad, it happens.
-Murphy's Law(R) Calendar