[CAUT] International standard?

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:58:37 -0400

My New World Dictionary of American Language says: "The standard pitch to which instruments are tuned and voices are pitched so as to be compatible in performance: It is currently designated  as A above middle C, with a frequency of 440 vibrations per second."

Wim

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:20:03 -0600
Subject: Re: [CAUT] International standard?

I checked my bookshelf and found in McFerrin's The Piano - Its Acoustics the
following (p 152): "The pitch that has become standard is 440 Hz at 68
degrees Farenheit for A-49. This standard was chosen as the official pitch
to be recommended by the American Federation of Musicians in 1917. It was
adopted by the US government in 1920, by the Associated Music Industries in
1925, and by the International Conference on Pitch in London in 1939."
    Doesn't say anything about that conference - who attended, what
countries were represented, etc. But I guess maybe 440 is law in the USA, if
this quote is to be believed. Nothing mentioned about a treaty. I'd guess
the PTG written test is a wee bit inaccurate in its answer to that question.
Somebody interpreted "conference" as "treaty."
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico