[CAUT] International standard?

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:51:12 -0400

From: Keith Kopp <keith_kopp@byu.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:35:05 -0600
Subject: RE: [CAUT] International standard?

To all,

Thought you might consider the yellow PTG written exam. Question: Which
of the following statements is true? Answer: A. International Concert
Pitch A-440 was established in 1917 by agreement between piano
manufacturerers. C. The international treaty establishing A-440 as
worldwide standard pitch was signed in 1939. Correct answer: C.

Keith

When the exam committee worked on the written exam, we discussed this question.
I can't remember who found the information, but we did agree to leave it on the exam.
Mr. Swenson's article supports the question, and answer.
"On July 27, 1987, at its meeting in Toronto, the International Society of Piano Builders and Technicians unanimously renewed their support for A=440 as the international pitch standard for piano manufacturers and for modern piano and orchestral tuning. The advantages for the acceptance of A=440 by all makers of modern musical instruments for use in concert halls and recording studios seems obvious. Unfortunately, the question of musical pitch is even more complicated today than it was fifty years ago when an International Conference in London also recommended the international use of A=440.

Wim