[CAUT] International standard?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:42:16 -0600

I just found this, which confirms the Goebbels connection
<http://groups.msn.com/Todakcrew/musicarticles.msnw>:
The first effort to institutionalize A=440 in fact was a conference
organized by Joseph Goebbels in 1939, who had standardized A=440 as the
official German pitch. Professor Robert Dussaut of the National Conservatory
of Paris told the French press that: ``By September 1938, the Accoustic
Committee of Radio Berlin requested the British Standard Association to
organize a congress in London to adopt internationally the German Radio
tuning of 440 periods. This congress did in fact occur in London, a very
short time before the war, in May-June 1939. No French composer was invited.
The decision to raise the pitch was thus taken without consulting French
musicians, and against their will.'' The Anglo-Nazi agreement, given the
outbreak of war, did not last, so that still A=440 did not stick as a
standard pitch.

A second congress in London of the International Standardizing Organization
met in October 1953, to again attempt to impose A=440 internationally. This
conference passed such a resolution; again no Continental musicians who
opposed the rise in pitch were invited, and the resolution was widely
ignored. Professor Dussaut of the Paris Conservatory wrote that British
instrument makers catering to the U.S. jazz trade, which played at A=440 and
above, had demanded the higher pitch, ``and it is shocking to me that our
orchestra members and singers should thus be dependent upon jazz players.''
A referendum by Professor Dussaut of 23,000 French musicians voted
overwhelmingly for A=432.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico