[CAUT] International standard?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:10:16 -0600

On 4/27/05 10:35 AM, "Keith Kopp" <keith_kopp@byu.edu> wrote:

> To all,
>
> Thought you might consider the yellow PTG written exam. Question: Which
> of the following statements is true? Answer: A. International Concert
> Pitch A-440 was established in 1917 by agreement between piano
> manufacturerers. C. The international treaty establishing A-440 as
> worldwide standard pitch was signed in 1939. Correct answer: C.
>
> Keith

Which, of course, raises the question "What international treaty?" (the
question Alan asked originally). I have never been able to find any
specifics, and nobody I have asked has been able to point me to any.
References in Swenson's article and elsewhere refer to it as an
international conference, which could mean any number of things
(musicologists? manufacturers?) Is this just a kind of popular belief among
our membership (the international treaty statement), or is it true? In which
case, is there some kind of documentation somewhere? Do any piano technician
journals span that period around 1939? Anyone have access to them if they
do?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico