[CAUT] International standard?

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:16:51 -0700

Does anyone know where to find out about the history of the agreement to
standardize pitch at A-440? Like who was present and under what auspices was
the agreement reached? Just curious as to whether the current disparity
regarding this issue of an "international" standard is American conceit,
European amnesia/intransigence or what.

Along this line. Is it only the string section pushing for a higher pitch?
If a string player wants more brilliance, is there a different way to
achieve it other than changing the pitch? Like changing wire gauge? Does the
higher pitch actually give a more "brilliant" quality?

I'm probably addressing the wrong group here, but I'm still curious about
this issue.

Alan