[CAUT] A440 percussion

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:29:36 -0400

There's a standard joke at the Cincinnati Symphony is that they tune to
A-441 and play at 442. The orchestra DOES tend to get sharper as they go
along and I think this is a very common natural tendency. A kind of "pushing
the envelope"...finding the edge where excitement begins to become
unmusical. It is definitely better to err on the side of being a little
sharp rather than the other way around and this is possibly what
collectively pushes the pitch upwards. I never let the piano get below A-441
and tune it with a lot of stretch. There is a natural system of checks and
balances in the orchestra and the percussionists have their bars set at 442
because they have to. They set the upper limit. I have had a few discussions
with the harpist (who sits almost inside the piano when it is in the
orchestra) about how she copes with the stretch on the piano. She (as almost
all harpists do) tunes with a strobe tuner. She just tunes it to A-442, no
stretch. There is currently a small controversy swirling about the celesta
because of an upcoming recording session. The orchestra's celesta is an
ancient rattletrap and they've finally decided it sounds flat...

Despite all this, the general intonation of the orchestra is excellent. They
make the necessary musical adjustments as they play and it somehow works
out.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Supervising Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music