[CAUT] A440 percussion

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:59:25 -0400

Wim, check my earlier post for rationale but one thing to note is that =
the tuning "spread" in a "good" orchestra is aprox 10 cents. Kind of a =
nice stretch. Maybe they weren't thinking, that usually works. Chris =
Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:46 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] A440 percussion

  In a message dated 4/21/2005 12:37:00 P.M. Central Standard Time, =
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:
    List,

    Our percussion teacher told me (this week) that all new percussion
    (marimbas, Xylophones, etc.) are now coming at A442, and that if you
    want A440 it is now special order. He didn't tell me which =
companies,
    just the ones he typically orders from.

    Jim Busby BYU
  I found out about this a couple of months ago when the harp player =
told me she tunes to 442 to be in tune with the percussion instruments. =
But the oboe plays 440, and no one has asked me to tune the piano to =
442.=20

  For those orchestras that tune to 440, but use mallet instruments =
tuned to 442, doesn't the conductor complain these instruments aren't in =
tune with the rest of the orchestra?=20

  This get's me to wondering if those who seem to be so worried about =
it, really know if the orchestra is tuned to 442 or 440? Personally I =
think it is just a case of "I want to be different", and/or "I am sooooo =
good, that I can tell the difference", when perhaps they really can't.=20

  Wim=20

  Willem Blees, RPT
  Piano Technician
  School of Music