[CAUT] A-440 again

Joseph D. Gotta, RPT tune@a440piano.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:14:33 -0400

The Charlotte symphony uses A-440. I am not the regular technician but
my understanding is that a request for 442 requires a pitch raise and
tuning before the concert and a pitch lowering and tuning after the
concert at the visitors expense.

Joseph D. Gotta RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Avery Todd
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:28 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] A-440 again

List,

This has come up again because of one particular string (viola) teacher
here. There was evidently a blow-up of some kind at a Chamber Orchestra
rehearsal last week because of
his insistence, as conductor, that they tune to A-442. His primary
argument
for doing
so is that "all the major orchestras tune at least to A-442".

I understand the Cleveland orchestra doesn't. Is that still true and
does
anyone know of
any other major orchestras who use A-440.

My biggest problem with it here is that as far as I know, everyone
(except
him and maybe
1-2 other string players) like it at 440 and I personally just don't
want
to be tuning
instruments back and forth to accommodate this A**. And yes, he really
is!

I thought I'd gotten this problem settled years ago but evidently not.
:-(
Anyone have
any quick ammunition I can give to the Director? He's caught in the
middle
of it.
Thankfully, though, this time it doesn't involve a piano.

Thanks.

Avery Todd
University of Houston