[CAUT] A-440 again

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:50:35 -0500

When the NY Philharmonic came to town on tour I had to tune both our
SSDs to 442.  The newer D (85) started breaking strings shortly after
being tuned back to 440.  When the National Symphony came to town they
wanted the piano tuned to 442.  I said "no" and my technical director
backed me up.   The sponsors brought in a piano from out of town.

I know the NY Philharmonic and the National Symphony use 442 from those
experiences.  I also know Curt Masur didn't chew out the piano
technician (me) in front of the entire New York Philharmonic as he did
the previous night in Chicago.  By the way, the piano (along with the
pianist) got rave reviews in the paper the next day.  Nice to have a
piano reviewed!

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls