[CAUT] Harpsichord questions (long)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:57:52 -0600

On 4/18/05 6:23 AM, "Dave Doremus" <algiers_piano@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> You can tighten the top by gluing in
> small pieces of card stock or very thin veneer.

    I prefer applying a "key button" to the top of the key. Cheap and easy:
use square shanked toothpicks. Cut off the pointed ends. Cut the remaining
square cross-section material in half. Tack glue onto the top of the key,
using a drop of glue at each outer corner of the mortise (two drops per
"button half"). Make sure the toothpick pieces bear firmly against the pin,
but not enough to bind (later, if it should bind, it's easy to knock one off
and re-glue). I've done entire keyboards this way - pretty fast and
effective to get rid of clattery key syndrome. The balance hole is a
separate issue, and should preferably be addressed first - just like on a
piano.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico