[CAUT] notching

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:26:19 -0500

David,

Either retrieve your reprint book titled, 'Keys' from the bookshelf or
fish out Journal issues, March, May and June of 1991.  A picture is
worth a thousand words?  The notch, using the Spurlock jig is cut with
the key on its side, running over the end of a straight-cut router bit.
    The rest of the trimming (of side overhang) is done (prior to
cutting the notch) with the key upside down, running past a flush
cutting bit (the one with the pilot bearing on the end).

Take the time to study these articles, build the jigs and then enjoy the
professional results of 4 to 5 hour keytopping.  It's as close to
factory perfect as I've ever seen.

Good luck!

Stan Kroeker, RPT