[CAUT] new S&S A

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:19:55 -0700

List,
Any of you seen the brochure Steinway is sending out to universities about
the re-introduction of the 6' 2" model A?
We've had a big laugh in the shop because the included article by Stuart
Isacoff from Piano Today talking about the history of the model 'A' and it's
various size incarnations states: "The Model "A" Parlor Grand was designed
by C. F. Theodore Steinway in the late 1870s as a small instrument (it was
originally only 6" [sic] in length) capable of producing the power and tone
of larger grands".  Isacoff goes on to quote S&S telling its dealers this
new instrument "embodied the greatest progress ever achieved in the art of
piano making.".   Indeed!  I bet it looked kind of funny though....

Greg