[CAUT] Re: Harpsichord questions

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:16:26 -0500

Dave,

Regarding your last question, about temperaments, there was a posting a few
weeks ago about a musicologist fellow, Dr. Bradley Lehman, who claims to
have re-discovered the temperament developed and preferred by J.S. Bach.
You can get a copy of the article at his web site, www.larips.com.  I found
it utterly fascinating.  There is a table in the paper that, among other
things, describes the temperament in cents deviation from ET, to set it up
on your ETD.  I don=B9t think anyone will be using our harpsichords until
fall, but I=B9m going to give it a try then.

Unfortunately, Fred is probably correct in his assessment that a non-ET
tuning will go largely unnoticed.

Regards,
Ken Z.
--=20