[CAUT] Diagnosing bridge pin problems

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:47:53 -0400

I'd like to know more about how to diagnose bridge pin problems.  Ed, =
this is the answer I tried to get on the Pianotech list with my question =
about seating strings, because I heard so many different things in the =
process... thanks!

I've been graphing the starting pitch of pianos ever since I began =
tuning for money, usually just sampling every A.  It helps me =
communicate to the customer what work needs to be done, and records =
whether the piano is stable or not.

Well, I've finally uncovered a problem by doing this!  I've now tuned =
the same C3 three times in this current concert series, and the second =
and third time the piano's been within a few cents of where I left it, =
except for a 10-cent dip between A5 and A6.

Checking it out closely today, I could see no damage to the soundboard, =
ribs, or bridge in that area (which I suspected because the problem =
occurred over a range of notes).  As I fine-tuned, I noticed that the =
problem was discontinuous, though: not every string was off by that =
much.  Listening to just a single string, I heard false beats, and so =
tried pushing down on the string just in front of the speaking-side pin. =
 Naturally, it went sharp!  :-)  I pushed backwards on the top of the =
same bridge pin, and the note cleaned right up.  The strings were going =
flat because of loose bridge pins!

So, what other tricks are there to diagnose bridge problems?  I've heard =
of using vice grips (handy when the problem is in the low tenor on a =
"D"!).  Which direction should you apply pressure on the pin?  Aft?  =
Down?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20