[CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:40:44 -0500

I agree on the need for a good instrument, but, I have a bit of a problem
with trying to force the hand of the school.  Did Cy say the school is awash
in cash?   Is there really harm in helping an instrument hold the tune?   I
believe as a university technician, my job was (was, because I moved away)
to explain the choices available--especially when the choices involved a lot
of money.

My recommendation, Cy, is communicate!  Explain the situation as best you
can.  Explain what you *can* or *might be able to accomplish* and include
that what you can do is not the end all solution, they had better start
raising the funds for the big fix or purchase--if that is the case.  This
type of approach sure has turned out to be the road to success for me.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Braden Auditorium at Illinois State University

PS  I just used CA on a B for a financially strapped institution.  They were
extremely happy to have use of the instrument again.

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph D. Gotta, RPT
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 7:35 AM
Subject: RE: [CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

         Having said all that, if the piano is in a more environmentally
friendly home now, doing any sort of repair may be doing the college a
disservice as well as shooting yourself in the foot at the same time. The
fact of the matter is that the college students need a top of the line
instrument such as this one has the potential to be, the faculty needs it,
and the college is awash in cash to do the job if they decide to adequate
the funds. Repairs may only deny the students and faculty a better
instrument for an extended period of time. Sometimes allowing them to suffer
a poorly performing piano is the right thing to do. It allows them to keep
the incentive to do what they both need and can afford, rebuild.

Joseph D. Gotta RPT