[CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:20:29 -0400

I've been studying piano technology for ten years, on and off (I've =
passed the RPT written exam), and have been tuning professionally for a =
year and a half.  I've applied to North Bennet St. for this fall.

I was just asked to take care of an S&S D for a local community college. =
 It's 1917 vintage (played by Rachmaninoff at one time!), and rebuilt by =
Steinway about ten years ago.  It's suffering from humidity damage: 8" =
crack in the soundboard behind and under the treble bridge and =
elsewhere, false beats in the low tenor (loose bridge pins?), and loose =
tuning pins in the bass.  One or two are so loose I was tempted to mute =
them, for fear they wouldn't survive a concert.

Of the needed repairs, the only one's I'm qualified to do are to CA the =
loose pins, which I've done successfully three times previously.  I'll =
happily do this on someone's no-name, 100-year-old, 4'8" neonatal grand =
with rusty strings, but I want to ask for advice before doing anything =
irreversible to an instrument of this caliber.  I can do the repair =
without side effects, I'm sure (I pull the action and use copious =
amounts of plastic tarps), but still...

Is the right thing to do to simply write up a report and say that it =
needs a new pinblock, bridge cap, and at least epoxy in the soundboard =
cracks?  Or let Steinway re-evaluate it?  Is it better to pull the loose =
pins and shim with sandpaper or veneer rather than risking CA?  Will =
Steinway scoff if they get a CA'd pinblock to replace?

Side note: it has a disassembled DC system... sigh...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV